Cyclocross

Cyclocross
Crazy fast - Crazy hard - Crazy Fun

Monday, December 21, 2009

CrossCamp Day 4 - Where ARE my wheels??

Having been in Belgium for 3 full days, I am truly having a blast. While I have not raced yet, I have settled in and am getting acquainted with the surroundings. We have made a few trips into town to the local chocolate shops, the bakeries and "The Wall". The Wall is an oversized vending machine that has almost anything that you could want. The items include: martini mix, 6 pack of beer, Coke (2L), milk, eggs, bread pizza, Red Bull, escargot, cards and plenty of other items. Very interesting to say the least.

I have been exploring around the town on a borrowed cruiser bike - I chose the one with no shifting but brakes……the other choice was shifting and no brakes. While I am enjoying the mobility, I would like to have my bikes to race on. I did miss the first race on my schedule (Kalmthout World Cup), however, it was nice to be able to watch the race on TV at the house.

My bikes and wheels have been enjoying the countryside as well. The frame box arrived today (Monday) after a 3 day liberty in London and I was able to put the bikes back together, minus cross wheels. There is an unconfirmed rumor that the wheels wanted to make a short trip to India. It would appear that the wheel box befriended several other boxes on the flight from Boston to London and chose to go on to India with many of the other bags. Although, the official response from the airline is "We have no idea where the luggage is". Seriously - who would not want to go to India?

To pass the time, several of us have been practicing skidding in the snow on the very snowy Belgium roads. Of course, there were several motorist that were stuck in the snow and we hopped off the bikes to help them get on their way. One guy that we helped just gassed it and waved out the window as he drove off. The cars were so small, it was like we just picked them up and sent them on their way.

My next scheduled race is on Wednesday and I should be ready to go - even if I have to borrow wheels. With any luck, the wheels will return before Saturday for the Zolder World Cup Race.

No comments:

Post a Comment