Cyclocross

Cyclocross
Crazy fast - Crazy hard - Crazy Fun

Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Holidays in Belgium

Christmas Eve was a pretty low key day with many of the us getting out for a recovery ride. I headed out with Steve, Dave and Jerome for an hour or so on the icy Belgian roads. The off camber roads did a pretty good job of helping us crash along the way as we stopped at intersections. The photo above is of me as the group waited for me to get back up - pretty soft/slow landing. After cleaning up from the riding we grabbed a late lunch and headed into town to tour about and do a little shopping. Plenty of cool shops to check out and enjoy. Then it was back to the house for a team meeting with Fox - aka: Chris De Vos - Head Soigneur. As I understand, De Vos means "The Fox" - so Fox it is.

Jeremy Power and Jamie Driscol with Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com (Elite/Pro Cyclocross Team) both stopped by to talk to us about racing & training. They discussed the value of motor pacing, the upcoming races and answered a bunch of questions. It was VERY cool to be able to chat with both of them. I have watched them race in New England the last few years at the VERGE cross series. The VERGE Elite race is usually one race after mine, so I am able to cool down, get cleaned up and watch them race. It was nice to have them stop by.

Then it was time for a little Christmas Eve dinner. It was a good celebration with appetizers and dinner including turkey, candied pears, peas, rice, cranberry sauce and a Yule Log (lots of milk in that thing - LOG-O-DEATH). Els (House Directress and Head Chef) was kind enough to make me my own chicken (because as anyone knows a turkey is roasted with butter). Actually she said "No TURKEY for you - Butter, You have CHICKEN". Everyone was in good spirits - it was pretty funny. After dinner, I enjoyed a game of scrabble with Danny, Joe and David. Joe had a 52 point word…Wow. Then it was off to The Wall for a late evening snack before calling it a day.

Christmas Day was also pretty relaxing for most of us. I headed out and did an open up ride to get ready for the Zolder World Cup Race on Saturday. I felt good with several solid accelerations. The day was mostly spent relaxing and staying off my feet. I did however spend some time getting the bikes setup for the Saturday. Then off to bed, Saturday was going to be an early day because of the 2 hr drive to get to the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment